The Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Arizona Coyotes 2-1 in a shootout in their one and only trip to Gila River Arena on the season. Arizona played really well but ran into a hot goalie who had a helping hand from the post.
The game didn’t start off on the best of notes for Arizona. Only 1:03 into the game and they were down. Carolina scored a quick one and took the lead early. About midway through the period, Dave Moss was able to pick up his first goal of the year and tie the game up at one. Arizona played really well during the rest of the period. They killed a double minor penalty quite impressively, even generating some offensive zone time on the penalty kill. The period came to a close with both teams tied at one.
More from Arizona Coyotes
- Arizona Coyotes: Slumping Strome Shipped to Chicago
- Arizona Coyotes: How Coach Rick Tocchet Sparked His Offense
- Arizona Coyotes: 3 Keys to Win Over Blue Jackets
- Arizona Coyotes: 3 Takeaways From Saturday’s Loss in Winnipeg
- Arizona Coyotes: Dvorak Out Indefinitely After Surgery
The second period came and went with no scoring for either team. Arizona was outplayed a bit in this period. They had their chances, but Carolina’s defense was there to interrupt the Arizona’s offensive flow every time. Carolina out shot Arizona in the period as well. The Coyotes still had not gone on the powerplay in the game yet. Their penalty kill was on top of things though. They killed two more penalties and actually out played Carolina with one less man on the ice during those penalties. After two, the game was still tied at one.
The third period played out just as the second did. Neither team could come up with quality scoring chances. Both defenses were on top of their game making good plays to keep the game scoreless. Arizona still did not get any powerplay opportunities. Carolina continued to out shoot Arizona, but the third period ended knotted up at one.
The overtime period was more back and forth play. Both teams had couple quality scoring chances but still couldn’t convert. Mike Smith made a great pad save that kept the game alive for Arizona and the game was headed to a shootout.
- Lucas Lessio – Stopped
- Elias Lindholm – Scored
- Sam Gagner – Stopped
- Victor Rask – Stopped
- Antoine Vermette – Stopped
- Keith Yandle picked up his 33rd assist which leads all NHL defensemen.
- Martin Hanzal is still out with an injury.
- Joe Vitale is also still out due to injury.
- Mike Smith played really well stopping 39 of 40 shots.
- Brendan Shinnimin and Lucas Lessio continue to build chemistry and looked really good on the same line.
- Dave Moss (1st)
- Ron Hainsey (2nd)
- Mike Smith
- Elias Lindholm
- Cam Ward